Detainee G

Name: Detainee G
Nationality: Algerian
Residence: Britain
Marital Status: Married
Date of Arrest: 20/12/2001
Location of Arrest: London, UK
Release on Bail: 23/04/2004
Date of Re-Arrest: 11/08/2005

Write to him : Detainee G
HMP Long Lartin
South Littleton
WR11 8TZ

Detainee ‘G’ is 35 years old, and from Algeria.

In 1991, ‘G’ was arrested by the Algerian security services and tortured. In December of that year, fearing that he would again be arrested and detained, he left Algeria for Saudi Arabia.

He stayed there until late 1992 but could not remain. ‘G’ then went to Pakistan and visited Afghanistan from time to time, it being easy to cross the border between the two countries.

It became difficult to stay in Pakistan because he was an illegal immigrant there and with a civil war raging in Afghanistan, it was unsafe to retreat there for fear of violence.

He arrived in the UK in August 1995 and claimed asylum, which was rejected in September 1997. He later gained six months’ residency by being married to a French national.

‘G’ was detained in December 2001, just after the Government brought in emergency anti-terror laws following the 11 September attacks on America. He was accused of actively supporting the GSPC. He has never been informed of the evidence against him.

On 23rd April 2004, ‘G’ was freed on strict bail conditions after a court accepted there were serious concerns about his mental and physical health. He had been detained without charge or trial for over three years.

‘G’ is disabled by polio. During his detention in Belmarsh Prison, he became acutely mentally ill and suffered from paranoia and delusions. He was also in danger from self-harm. He became so weak that his already fragile body crumbled and he was no longer able to stand. His last months in Belmarsh Prison were spent in a wheelchair.

Upon release, ‘G’ was placed under house arrest under extremely severe restrictions. Since then, he has been forced to live in a small one-bedroom housing association flat in London with his wife and young child. He suffers from polio and requires crutches to walk more than a few steps.

Under the terms of ‘G’s house arrest, he is denied visitors and all contact with the outside world. ‘G’s lawyer, Ms Garerth Peirce, said the “house arrest” conditions called to mind “the worst excesses of very nasty regimes”.

On 14th October 2004, the Special Immigration Appeals Commission ruled that the conditions of ‘G’s confinement should be relaxed, lifting the blanket ban on visitors and the restriction barring him from leaving his flat.

This ruling came a day after a team of doctors produced evidence showing that he was suffering from serious psychiatric illness.

In early February 2005, The Home Office launched a legal bid to send ‘G’ back to Belmarsh Prison, alleging that he breached his bail terms by accepting two unauthorised visitors at his home; claims which were strongly denied by ‘G’.

The court ruled against the Home Office, saying that the government had not proved ‘G’ had breached his bail conditions and said he could continue to live at home.